Volcano eruption!

Today was finally the day we 'erupted' our volcano! We made it over the weekend. Basically covered a small plastic water bottle with clay. We didn't have any in the house so I found a home made recipe on the internet which was very easy.
2 cups flour
2 cups warm water
1 cup salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon cream of tartar (optional for improved elasticity) I don't have any cream of tartar but it worked fine without it.

After covering our bottle we let it dry overnight.

Today we used 4 tsps baking soda, some red food colouring for a greater effect, a good squirt of liquid dish soap, lots of vinegar and voila! Eruption!

We did it 3 times... Well, until the whole 1 litre vinegar bottle was finished. Both boys found it fascinating! So did I by the way. I have never done it or seen it before. I will take it to class next week and present it to the kids.

I've said it a million times before and I will keep saying it over and over again...I just love learning from and with my children. They are my biggest accomplishment in life. Love you monsters!

Comments